Wednesday, March 3, 2010

1st Entry From Michael Himself!!!!



DICTATED TO PATRICIA BY MICHAEL:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It has been made clear to me that while I was in intensive care, my organs failing, my body reeling, that my spirit needed to make a decision.

Should I go to the light? Or return to that body, with all its challenges, and live out the remainder of my life in physical form.

In many ways, it seems counter-intuitive to return to physical form and face the long journey of regeneration, retrieving my lost abilities from the stroke, existing for months in a weakened 112-pound body, working to regain some semblance of my pre-illness self.

The answer, simply enough, is I came back for love.

To express love, to receive love, to know love, to share love. I have been blessed with a life enriched with sweet individuals who have reserved special little places for me in their enormous hearts.

And I am especially fortunate to have one particular person - my "Whosis" - with whom I share a daily life exchanging great fondness and affection. Patricia and I share the deepest of joyful soul connections and, in addition, we find great pleasure in each other's personalities.

How lucky am I to spend my life with a person I love and like - a person who entertains me, who stimulates me - who always bring a smile to my face - who can make my blood boil (PATRICIA: Is that for being sexy or angry? MICHAEL (LAUGHS): We'll leave that up to the interpretation of the reader!) - a person who sweetly purrs next to me at night (PATRICIA: You mean snores!) and giggles at my humor during the day.

A person who's loyal beyond question, steadfast beyond all reason, a person who has displayed for me the truest meaning of commitment, the dearest friend a person could ever have in a lifetime - and my forever sweetheart - soon to be my Mrs. B.

So there! I came back for love.

And I don't regret it. (Although next time my spirit inhabits a body, I'm going to order bigger biceps and two functioning kidneys.)

"Why me?"
There is a voice inside of me that does express itself and asks "Why me? Haven't I had enough physical distress and challenges for a lifetime? Why all this crap now?"

I usually reframe the extraordinary health challenges that have been brought my way as some of my most profound life lessons. They soften me by making me more empathetic, both to myself and others. I tell people I wouldn't wish this suffering on anyone, much less myself.

That always moves me, because I feel a great compassion for self...which is my biggest life lesson.

My latest tussle with the nasty H1N1 virus has afforded me the opportunity to be of service as a spokesperson for vaccination. I have a simple message for everyone: Why risk spending 40 days in Intensive Care when you can just get a shot and protect yourself?

If my message reaches anyone and convinces them to be inoculated, then my suffering has not been in vain.

(How's that for a biblical semblance!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am unbelievably happy to read this post...and I love you both. Michael, the most important lessons, eh?

Enjoy these next months, guys--hope they all take place in Hawaii! :)

Stay well. Hugs and kisses to you both.

XXXXXXXXX Sona

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Michael! Yes, Patricia is wonderful. Yes, you have exquisite taste!!!!!!!

Be well, get better.

And, remember, healing is not linear.

Mary Rose