Friday, May 14, 2010

The Gym...OR...Pills?

I've got weight gain...Michael's got muscle atrophy.

Is there a pill we can take to make it go away?

I actually googled the weight reduction aide Alli today, which works by "decreasing absorption of fat by the intestines," and reducing the calories you absorb - IF you're already doing low fat, low calorie and high exercise.

Which I am - since the healthy lifestyle is my preference - so, it sounds tempting. A little boost would be appreciated.

Immediately, I found a report from the Mayo Clinic - whom I respect - saying that this expensive pill might only take off an extra six pounds a year. And on days when you might eat more than 15 grams of fat, might cause "unwanted effects" like urgent bowel movements, diarrhea, and gas with oily spotting.

I immediately unwanted it.

Then I thought - hmmm! I wonder if I should take something thermogenic to really boost my body's fat burning ability?

Then I found a report from Dr. Andrew Weil - whom I respect - saying that thermogenics, which uses stimulants to boost your metabolism and suppress your appetite, might create short term weight loss, but "you won't maintain this weight loss without eating less and exercising more" - plus - "several of the ingredients are potentially dangerous."
Sigh!

So today, Michael and I had appointments with Trainers at the gym - his trainer having special expertise in working with people fresh out of medical rehab. He actually did a plank today - and the recumbent bike. Gym-Boy is back!

My trainer, the amazing Debbie, is five years older than I am (and I'm 57 going on 40) and leads the "I Hate to Run" class, as she is an advocate of slow, easy running. That made me look at her warily.

Then she said the magic words to me: "When you run, you can eat anything."

I looked at her thoughtfully. "But I don't run," I told her, "unless someone is chasing me." I explained that I was the fat girl in P.E. class who dreaded the words "Take a lap" even more than "Let's pick teams."

But I will say, I am going for a natural thermogenic...

"Trust me," said Debbie.

So today, for the first time in my life, I jogged in two short spurts on the treadmill. Just like those fit, young girls I see who actually sweat.

I was surprised. I was not out of breath or uncomfortable, yet my always excellent heart rate soared thermogenically. And, after months of sitting, it felt good to move. Debbie said that those two short bursts actually took me a quarter of a mile. Hmmm.

So I'm going to let Debbie have her way with me. Cautiously. Slowly. Guardedly.

Because she absolutely guaranteed me there would be no gas with oily spotting.

Patricia's New Magic Running Shoes -
Expensive, Comfortable & Thermogenic


2 comments:

sona said...

"I don't run unless someone's chasing me"--I love that! 'Course, I love you, so it's all one piece. Reminds of my dad, who used to tell me, "Whenever I feel the urge to exercise, I lie down till the feeling goes away." (I think he stole that from Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, but it worked anyway. )

The age/metabolism link has a lot to do with how hard it is to lose, even when we're doing everything we should--and even though those same efforts paid off twenty years earlier.

Yes, the pundits tell us that exercise raises the heart rate and helps us burn at a faster rate--and has that effect even hours after we've finished exercising. And it's probably true, but personally, I've never seen it happen with me. :( Not that I used that as an excuse to quit; you're right about moving--it's always good to keep moving, at whatever age.

It's hard, very hard. And it's individualized. We're all the same to a certain extent, but after that, each of us has a different tweak to the formula that will work to bring us to what we consider our ideal body mass/body fat/weight ratio. And finding that tweak can take years of trial and error. Damn.

You are (and always have been) such a determined and optimistic scientist, Patricia. I know you'll keep on until you begin to see the progress you're hoping for! (Michael, too, although he's working toward a different goal.)

I envy you your trainer, and I'm excited (and happy) for you. It's going to be difficult, fun, exhilarating, exhausting, rewarding, and more.

Sending thermogenic loving thoughts your way!

XXXXXXXXXXXXX Sona

A. Cai said...

Life happens. Usually I get upset about something and I get depressed. Then I turn to food to comfort me. Food has been a long time friend of mine. And usually when something is not right in my life I turn to it to comfort me. I don't understand it totally but when I feel empty, bored or depressed food has been what I have used to soothe me and fill me up.The ironic thing is that losing weight has also been something I've used to cure my emotions. In the past when I have been unhappy with myself and with my life, I have set a goal to lose weight. It was as though I did not feel good about myself and I felt that if I was thin my life would change. And I thought I would be a better person. Losing weight can change your life and it can make you feel better about yourself. But losing weight can't cure everything. Low self esteem may still be a problem even as a thin person. Sometimes I think that its possible to still think like a person who is overweight even when you are skinny.