Thursday, February 4, 2010

Food, GLORIOUS Food!

YES, AFTER A 50-DAY MOUTH-FAST (and nothing's fast about that), HE GETS TO EAT REAL FOOD! Have Mashed Potatoes And Fish EVER Tasted Better? (NO!)

GOOD FRIEND MICA THOUGHT SHE WAS HALLUCINATING WHEN SHE BUMPED INTO PATRICIA IN THE MARKET IN OJAI!
--------------------------------------------------
Wednesday morning at 8:30 Michael got transported to Cottage Hospital for his third Swallow Study - and this time he PASSED!

PATRICIA VENTING: Not that his speech therapist Elaine had the empathy to tell us that promptly - we had to send out spies to finally get the pronouncement. Sometimes these people forget what it's like to be on this side of the bed. I will definitely need my own kind of therapy when this is over.

So, he got his first real meal in about 50 days (not counting the calories he's gotten thru the tummy tube for the last 21 days). Yes, he enjoyed mashed potatoes and a thin fish fillet with apple juice for lunch and pasta rice and milk with a few bites of lemon meringue pie for dins (they served more than that, but that's what he ate.) And he turned his nose up at the pureed fruit - said "Yuck - it's canned." See how quickly we become choosy!

I watched him eat and I cried.

He patted my hand and said, "I know. I'm your beloved - and since you're Jewish - seeing me eat means everything."

Then I watched him eat and I laughed.

He ate about an eighth of a serving each meal so is still getting the tube feedings, of course, and will until he can consume 50% of the food. But I just beamed watching him eat - and thrilled to be able to say "YES!" Instead of "Not Yet, Darling" when he asked for a glass of water or milk.

Michael not only felt less dizzy after the first few bites, he also says he feels more hopeful now.

MY OUTING. To make my happy day complete, I went to Ventura to my former hairdresser and got my hair done (this experience has aged me enough - I don't need to show my silvers to prove it!).

Then I ran to Ojai to pick up my vitamin powder (which I normally have to ship to the Central Coast) in my continuing attempt to keep myself healthy.

I popped into the market to buy Michael his fav yogurt and razors, when our friend Mica sidles up to me looking like she was either going to pinch me or herself to see if she was hallucinating. It was true serendipity! As we exited, she desperately wanted to send Michael a gift, so she searched her grocery bag and offered me her box of fresh spinach - but I talked her into letting me take her photo instead.

Felt strange to be gone all afternoon - but I was back in time to watch the gloriousness of Michael getting dinner.

Isn't it easy to take the act of swallowing for granted? Not any more.


Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: