Thursday, February 11, 2010

PHOTO ADDED! Wed & Thurs: Walkin', Steppin' & Preppin' to Leave!

Michael With Physical Therapist Erin As We Practice Getting In and Out of the Highlander. It Was Easy-Peazy! Our Car's the Perfect Height - No Stepstool Needed. And Michael's Ready to Boogie!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SHORT ENTRY DAY.

Cute Anecdote. When the time came for me to leave for my Oxnard/Ventura comfort mercies Wednesday, (chiropractor massage and dins with son & grandbaby), Michael cleverly expressed his conflicted feelings about it.

"I want you to go and have a good session with Dr. Knight -- don't leave -- and then have a wonderful, soothing massage with Cathy -- don't leave -- and then have a warm, loving dinner with Mike and Liam -- don't leave."

We laughed -- and I left.

While it was good to tend to myself this way, it made me realize just how numb I've made my body since mid-December when all this started. The body work just poked and prodded the nerves awake enough for me to go "OW!"

I was sore everywhere - and almost worse off for starting a process that couldn't be finished quickly. But it was time to start.

So I go back to the chiropractor and masseuse Friday and hope for more relief than pain.

WHY IT'S SHORT ENTRY DAY. The reason this is a short entry day covering three days is that last night Michael started asking questions about the time he doesn't remember. I began with good stories (the miracle of Chris Van Huff showing up the day we asked if the former Swine Flu/Pneumonia/Stroke ICU patient, fully recovered, could be called) - and it progressed to Michael hearing some of the bad moments.

He was in awe. And had even more increased empathy for my part of the experience, all a blank to him.

When I got back to the hotel room last night, I was emotionally drained. I hadn't relived those memories at all, especially since the present is still demanding, though a much happier kind of demanding.

Now it's morning and I've got to jet.

More next time!

P. S. We leave here Thursday of next week for Solutions Rehab (it's Rehab minus Hospital environment) and Michael practiced getting in our Highlander, which is the perfect height, no step stool needed. He also practiced stairs, which we have at home. His progress is AMAZING!!!! (And he knows it now on a deeper level after hearing how far he's come.)

No comments: